Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The colours of a Madras summer

I see bright pinks, flaming reds and sunny yellows.

The tree orchids pine for their guardians who are away,
Bauhinia

Bougainvillaeas red ask to be photographed
Bougainvillaeas 

The whites creep over the neighbour's trellis, 
Bougainvillaeas 

and meet the pinks
Bougainvillaeas

while these orangey-yellows greet the early morning sun.
Bougainvillaeas 

This desert rose does not seem to mind the sun,
Adenum

while this ixora continues to hold its head up in the midday sun,
Ixora

Yellow laburnums all over the city
Cassia fistula (amaltas)

And copper pods too.
Peltophorum pterocarpum

The tabebuia are in full bloom, their purple and yellow trumpets celebrating the sun.

Tabebuia

But these palm fruits enjoy the shade of our car park.

The little periwinkles stand bravely and defiantly, even as the earth scorches around them.

The tulip tree sunbathes, its blooms show off their lovely orange tan.

The quisqualis blooms with relief as the sun goes down, 
Quisqualis indica
and so do we, enjoying the sea breeze!

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful! And now I have learned the names of all those flowers I have seen countless times. And you have put everything together so poetically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hardly poetic Kamini, but glad you enjoyed it!

    Actually, I wanted to learn the botanical names myself...thats the reason for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see someone else enjoying the Madras summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am compelled to comment on the beautiful photographs that you have uploaded.

    You will be surprised to hear that you can find all these flowering plants/ trees in the Emirates - Dubai, Sharjah, in particular. Yesterday I saw a drumstick tree laden with the fruit/ vegetable. I am amazed by the effort that has gone into greening the desert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very beautiful..thank you for sharing.
    Is the tulip tre the true Falme of the Forest or is the Gulmohr?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!! I think I felt some of that Madras heat as well!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, lovely.
    Chennai can be so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all! I forgot to mention, most of the photos are by Sekar, who is enjoying the Madras summer!

    Yes, one hears that the Emirates have been greened, but drumstick as well, oh wow!

    And no the tulip tree is not the flame of the forest and neither is it the Gulmohar! The true flame of the forest is (if I'm not mistaken) Butea monosperma.

    The heat and sun kind of washes out the pictures a bit doesn't it Mona? There's a heat haze which is not ideal for photography!

    My special favourite Raji is the Amaltas (labrnum) trees. They are all over Besant Nagar and Thiruvanmyur, and there are these gasp-worthy sights as soon as you turn a corner, and in the narrowest of bye lanes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ambika, I love your blog. Been following it for a long time...very quietly though! I love Madras and I love nature ...so that's two coomon factors already! :)

    Would love to get in touch with you...Is it possible for you to share your contact details please - I am rachna.ashok@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great floral tribute!
    Yellow laburnum is my favourite.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post! Enjoyed it. Is the last one's common name Rangoon creeper?

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...