Sunday, October 18, 2015

Basho and me

Wanderer, nature poet and philosopher. Matsuo Chūemon Munefusa aka Basho, Haiku Master.

I was reading his Haikus yesterday, and these ones particularly stuck in my head as so apt for the wanderers in our family.

Wake! The sky is light!
let us to the road
again . . .
Companion butterfly!

Copsia-petal
fell in silent dawn . . .
spilling
A water-jewel.
(The original Basho was with Camellia) 
Ah me! I am one
who spends his little
breakfast
Morning-glory gazing.



Long conversations 
beside blooming amarylses – 
joys of life on the road.
(The original Basho was with irises) 


In the twilight rain
these brilliant-hued
hibiscus . . .
A lovely sunset

Lady butterfly
perfumes her wings
by floating
Over the orchid.

Silent the old town . . .
the scent of flowers
floating . . .
And evening bell.
I'm a wanderer 
so let that be my name – 
the first winter rain 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful... I love basho too.. Thanks for the post!!!
    Venkatesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one hits me, indeed!! The encounter which me move! Good and thanks. Amma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, it should read, "the encounter which makes me move! " amma

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...