Monday, September 9, 2024

Hairy Caterpillar on the drumstick tree

9th September 540pm

I initially thought this was Metanastria hyrtaca caterpillars, but I think they are actually Eupterote mollifera caterpillars.

Seen on our drumstick tree.

They were all crowded on the bark of the tree, in the shade in the day - when I first saw them.  

8th September - Tree 1 5pm.  Not much movement seen.




9th September Tree 2 - they were alive and one the move.  Seemed smaller than the other tree caterpillars.  I could not locate the caterpillars on Tree 1.


I will keep a watch on the tree - Hopefully, the caterpillars do nt completely defoliate the tree.  According to the literature on the internet, these moths scrape and gnaw at the bark as well as the leaves.  I did not see any leaves eaten up.

More as and when I observe.



12th September
Looks like both sets of Caterpillars are on one tree now!

1 comment:

  1. itchy itchy feeling :) ok will wait for updates to comment further..

    ReplyDelete

Greeted by a peacock!

eBird Checklist - 13 Sep 2024 - TTUF Nizhal - 11 species Finally after many a month I walked over to Nizhal's TTUF today morning. Crossi...