Friday, October 11, 2024

Mumbai Diaries - Karvi blooms and butterflies galore

October 3rd 2024

I was excited to learn that I was not too far from BNHS CEC.  

Various friends urged me to go - "it's a beautiful drive through the Aarey forests", said one. Another said, there are lovely bird trails  inside.  And then I saw that the Karvi flower was blooming there, and that sealed the deal, and I decided to go on the 3rd (and not the 2nd which was a public holiday and bound to see many a tourist.)


This was the scenic route I was looking forward to, as I hopped into the auto around 730 am.

This was the actual route taken by the speeding auto, who kept insisting that his map said this was faster.


It was around 9am by the time I got dropped off at the supposed gate, with not a soul in sight, after speeding on the expressway, standing still at innumerable traffic signals, winding our way through Film City, its various guards, potholes and vanity trucks.  The auto driver asked me if I was sure this was the place, and I confidently and cheerily told him so, and sent him off.

(It did cross my mind as to how would I make my way back from here...but at that point, just getting out of the rattling auto, away from the highway, and into bird call - it seemed like paradise.)


This was my first glimpse, as I crossed an empty school bus - whose kids must be wandering around the trails I surmised.  Sunbirds and Tailorbirds called incessantly.

A family of macaques observed me from the canopy above, sitting quite peaceably and grooming one another.  


And then, just like that both sides of the path were filled with these purple blooms!  Oh is this the Karvi flower, I thought and looked more closely, and yes it was.  Initially I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed - I mean one has to undergo some hardship and search high and low for rare one-in-8-year-blooms I thought - but here they were strewn on both sides of the path, in wild higgledy piggledy fashion!


I did warm up to them, eventually.  They reminded me of the Railway Creeper flowers, Morning Glories.  

I loved the buds more than the flowers, eventually.

Strobilanthes callosa - the Latin name - is an interesting shrub.  A favourite of all sorts of caterpillars and butterflies, I learnt, and is kind of brown and all dried up before the monsoons, turning all green and leafy after the rains, and then once in 8 years, it does this, bloom like there's no tomorrow.  

I learnt a new word - Plietesials - plants that flower occasionally and in synchrony.  Nature is quite amazing and marvellous.  Now if one didnt know this plant, it is quite imaginable that it will be discarded when looking all brown and shrivelled.  

Ruminating such thoughts, I walked on, and spied a building and heard some voices.  There were the kids from the school bus, with some harried looking teachers, and a very enthusiastic nature educator explaining the life cycle of butterflies.  A few children in the front were curious and eager, while those at he back had a "what am I here?" look to them.

I went to the "office", where the cheery guard asked me to sign in, pay the entrance fee of Rs 150 (only UPI please, no cash), and then I was free to wander on.

There is a Karvy trail and what's referred to as a Leopard Trail  - leopards have been seen in the park.  I did a bit of both.

Observations � iNaturalist - will give you the complete set of fungi, caterpillars, spiders and butterflies that I was able to capture on my phone camera.  Through my binoculars, I saw a huge number of chocolate pansies, Greater Orange Tips, Yellow Orange Tips, small white butterflies, Sailors, and many unidentified ones.

However, my bird list was small - the trees were quite silent for a lot of the time, was I too late for the morning chorus?  I was hoping for a sighting of the oriental dwarf kingfisher, but this is not the season I was told.

I could hear the Film City crews with their PA systems, shouting Action! Cut! etc etc.

It was a humid and hot and sweaty day.  I climbed up to the top of the Karvy Trail, and I could see a little stream below.  I think in a guided walk, they probably go down as well, but I did not venture.


As I headed back, I met one of the researchers coming up.  He was changing the card on the camera trap - they are tracking the leopards.  He said that he had just seen a rat snake.  I missed it.



Up in the skies above, there seemed to be two Oriental Honey Buzzards circling - they are not Black Kites for sure, but I could not find anyone to confirm the id.

Down below, the kids were complaining about mosquitoes and the heat - and the Guide was reassuring them that these mosquitoes did not carry dengue or malaria, and in fact were "tiger mosquitoes", with stripes.  I listened with amusement.  Another boy was hot and wanted water, a girl wanted to use the washroom - I was so glad I was not a teacher.  We really cannot thank our teachers enough.

It was time to return.  I did book an auto, who kept getting lost, but finally did show up, and was cheerful and apologetic for his lateness - he did not realise I was just grateful for a ride back!  I once again suggested Aarey road - but he told me - the "jungle road is karaab" and looking all jammed, and we came back also by the highways - more traffic and signals.  Oh well.

Sekar and Vish tried to reason that maybe the auto drivers knew something we/google did not, but I was not convinced. 

And so ended the BNHS CEC visit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mumbai Diaries - a chance encounter with composting worms via an art exhibition

4th October 2024 Nine Fish Art Gallery , Mumbai We happened to walk into this gallery as a rendezvous point to meet Sekar's cousin Viji ...