Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Mumbai Diaries - Kites and Sparrows, Cats and Dogs

eBird Checklist - 30 Sep 2024 - Raheja Vihar Circular Road - 16 species

I am in Mumbai, and quite close to Powai lake.  The area is wooded with exotics, but wooded nevertheless, and these are the birds seen in incidental birding - I did not have my binoculars with me, and I am sure I would have identified a few more warblers and possibly an oriole, if I did have one.

What I find interesting compared to Chennai bird-wise in this highly urbanised city is - 

# the strong presence of sparrows (I see them every time I come to Mumbai)
#  the very few crows (as compared to Thiruvanmyur) - I actually am not waking to crow caws, which is a pleasant change
# this neighbourhood also has less pigeons very interestingly


But the most heartwarming thing is the presence of small street dog kennels/shelters across the community...

and well-fed streeties, which seem to have been inoculated  - they have clipped ears and collars.  I am not a fan of random feeding without adoption, but this community seems to have adopted and care for the dogs.  Kudos!


Back to the birds and the trees.

Black Kites soar above all through the day.


The area is hilly, and I love the fact that there are some untended rather wild spaces, along with the buildings and the exotics.

One street has a lot of Australian Acacia in bloom, then there are Copper Pods, Gulmohars, Terminalia catappa (badams), and the ornamental palms.

But there is also the pink powderpuff tree, a few sarakonrai, mango and even a jackfruit tree!

A hillside that is wild - and I hope it stays that way.



"What would the world be, once bereft Of wet and of wildness?
Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

Gerard Manley Hopkins, poet

7th October update


Came across Dusky Crag Martins nesting under the eaves of the Scottish Union school this evening!

Now all I need is a Peregrine.  Come on Mumbai!  Chennai is up to 14 Peregrines incoming as of date.  

9th October

A drizzly evening and I strolled in the building.

So many sparrows I see in this neighbourhood.  Usually I find them difficult to photograph as they zip from one bush to the other. In the day, they chirp away, and somehow to my human ear, it's such a heart lifting kind of sound, gives me a feeling of cheer and hope.  They come and visit our flat windows, perching on the railings momentarily before flying off.  I see them in many window railings across the community.

I have located three favourite evening roosting trees - one a Jackfruit tree, one an overgrown bougainvillea bush, and the third an ornamental ficus bush!  I love to watch them 

Today, however, in the rain, they sat and chirped on this railing, taking shelter from the drizzle, and I managed this vide from under my umbrella!

And there are many cats too, but they thankfully do not attack/stalk the sparrows - they seem well fed!

The cats are not like Chennai cats - where they scoot and make themselves scarce when they see you.  Here, they sit in the middle of pavements, bold as brass, fix you with a stare, with their tail swishing, sizing you up - will this human feed me or not?  

More updates, as and when.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, same in kolkata a place which has huge crow population, has more spotted dove than crows and pigeons

    ReplyDelete

Mumbai Diaries - a chance encounter with composting worms via an art exhibition

4th October 2024 Nine Fish Art Gallery , Mumbai We happened to walk into this gallery as a rendezvous point to meet Sekar's cousin Viji ...