Saturday, March 5, 2022

Adyar Poonga from the outside

 11th to 13th February 2022

Day 1
Morning walks in a different neighbourhood bring different joys and delights.  A little peek through the gap in the shrubbery revealed the waters of the Adyar Poonga, as I walked down the western sidewalk of Greenways road, towards Santhome.


No Binoculars and myopia meant I saw the Pelican swimming serenely, but what were those little waders?  They stood still and seemed rather lethargic.  Too big and inactive for sandpipers, too plump for Black-Winged Stilts.  

I enjoyed the breeze, the call of the white-browed bulbuls, the flight of the little egret over the water's surface, instead.

Tried to wheedle my way in to the Poonga via the side gates, but no luck - watchman were pretty firm about not letting anyone in.  I walked through one eastward cul-de-sac, which ended in the Fisheries Office, alongside Quibble Island cemetery.  A nice walk but for the smell of well, fish.  

On going back home, Sekar casually says there is a pedestrian bridge across the Poonga, from the road next to the India Cements building - How does he know these things, seriously?  I am very sceptical - first of all where is this road next to IC office, and how can there be a bridge across the Poonga, I mean, how??

Day 2

Next morning, I retraced my steps, armed with binoculars, and lo and behold, those gundu stock still birds were revealed - Grey-headed Lapwings.  I was very happy to come across them - after a few years.  Winter migrants, they are rather different from the busy resident Red Wattled Lapwings.  Striking looking with their black breast band.  There was also a large flock of BWS, with their pink legs, mirrored in the water too.

A couple of Night Herons were busy in their own focussed worlds.

I had another goal from the previous day - finding that bridge - which I was quite sure didn't exist.  So I retraced my steps, back to the Indian Cements building....and there was the road going west...Karpagam Gardens...ok Sekar, I found it!  Nice tree-lined avenue, with the regular morning sounds.    

And there at the end of the road, was Karpagam Bridge!!! Across the Poonga, yes indeed, Sekar.  I loved the way it was designed, with the trellis to allow a look-see into the Poonga, and little wider alcoves, to sit in the evenings, if you so desired.  

The view through the trellis, looking west. One of the Poonga workers was picking up trash - bottles carelessly chucked over the bridge (Why, people?)  I thanked him for doing his job, and commiserated with him.

I spied the Poonga walking paths

And the workers going about their work, sweeping and cleaning the paths.  Squirrels enjoyed the trellis racing up and down, and getting startled seeing my face suddenly.

The view on the other side.  The Portea tree was full of the sound of white-browed bulbuls.  A lady passing by with her shopping told me that I should come earlier to find the birds (It was after 8am), as she hurried back home.

At the edge, I could hear the loud cackling of white-breasted waterhens, among the reeds at the water's edge, while a pelican paddled away from me.

As I crossed the kalyana mangalam, I saw this sewage truck that had the Made in India lion - a recycling sewage tank is it?

Day 3

I followed the lady's tip and started with Karpagam bridge, but no luck there.

I walked back via Quibble cemetery, wandered through the ancient graves, and saw a large blooming Kapok

14th Feb saw the BWS on the backwaters, and I managed to get on decent binocs-phone-cam shot



That evening, the sunset over the Adyar, brought gold to the waters - I could see the wader flocks near the bridge take to the air, but they were too far for me to figure out whether they were plovers or sandpipers, stints or shanks.









1 comment:

  1. Ah, I have seen that bridge from inside of Poonga. Nice write up and lovely Kapok.

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...