Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The majestic Crested Serpent Eagle

This was the sight that greeted our jalopy as we entered the Melghat forest at Pipalpadav one evening.  I think, for me this is the closest I have been to a raptor in the wild.  

The forest was quiet, resting in the afternoon heat, when Divya spied this lovely specimen on a branch to our left.  As we watched in silence, the eagle also sat in silence, ignoring us, and keeping a sharp look out for prey.

Sekar, clicked away and came up with these compositions in brown.  Trees, leaves, bird - almost a sepia print.  

Do click on the photo, to enjoy a full resolution view.  Only then will you see the crest, its hooked beak and the black bar across its tail - all distinguishing features for the Crested Serpent Eagle.  


In Melghat, we subsequently saw a lot of these raptors, circling above, sitting on trees, calling in the forest.

They are fond of well-watered country and also eat snakes, besides frogs, lizards and rats.

That was all we saw that evening.  Not one other creature moved in the forest.

That's the beauty of a jungle visit.  The jungle will reveal when she wants to.  You are unimportant.  A visitor.  

Be patient, enjoy the quiet and you may be privileged to see some small marvel.

When I return from these trips, I am always greeted by, "So what did you see?".  Its kind of difficult to explain that I enjoyed seeing the fallen leaves, the large anthills, the round river stones and the experience of not being "at home".  This is not my habitat anymore.  I am so far removed from it, I am a city person, sure to get lost on my own in the forest.

The dry and dusty teak forest of Melghat.  Initially my mind rebelled.  I want green, I want life, energy and vibrancy it said.  But after about three days, I think it did grow on me.  We learnt to cope with it, and recognise that in Nature there is summer - hot and dry and no running away from.  Life is not always about Spring.

4 comments:

  1. It is really majestic, so alert and attentive, aware. In the 1st photo, the brown scenery with the golden backdrop makes a perfect picture.
    Malathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic pictures, and such evocative writing. "Life is not only about spring" : so true!
    Actually, the browns and golds in the pictures are among my favourite colours.
    Kamini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, terrific writing. and good photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful writing!

    Padmanabhan

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...