Friday, October 10, 2008

The peacock - what a bird!

Enjoy!

Great pictures of our national bird, from Mr Ramanan, taken at Kanha.  Pavo cristatus.

I just read the peahen weighs about 4 kgs and the peacock in breeding plumage weighs six.  So, those feathers probably weigh 2 kgs?!

I cant decide which is my favourite picture - the train of feathers or the fan of feathers!  Tell me what you think!

Update - 11th November 2008

Here's one more picture that Mr Ramanan sent along, in order to complete the trilogy in a manner of speaking!

He comments wryly that when the photo-op comes along, its usually when the lighting is far from ideal.  But this picture below is quite spectacular, is it not?  Do click on the photo and enjoy a full-screen view.


7 comments:

  1. Both pictures are magnificent, but I think I prefer the first one - the fan one looks just a bit too "peacocky" (of course!) and ridiculous!
    Kamini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures, what a sight. The peacock always lifts the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming to think of it, I think I agree with you Kamini - the first one seems more "dignified"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both pictures are great. I've actually never seen a peacock with all of its plumage out like that so I like the second picture. But you just can't beat the iridescence of the blue neck, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Flowergirl, The male peacock is gorgeous. I think the top photo is regal. The fanned tail would have had to have the sun shining directly on it with a more contrasted background to compete with that top photo showing the neck, back and trailing tail feathers. It's nice to see both of their typical stances though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Mona, esp when you see the pic in full res, its pretty mind blowing how something natural could have colours like that!

    Thanks Larry for stopping by! And glad you liked the photos.

    Mr Ramanan, I hope you are reading all the comments about the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the train of feathers, such elegance

    ReplyDelete

Day 3 Andaman - The road to Rangat

 Feb 12th 2024 Continued from here. A strange day it was, with so many new experiences, some amazing, some frustrating, some bewildering and...