Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Neolithic aesthetics

At the Jordan museum, I came across these lime plaster statues. Hmmm, interesting, I thought, and decided to take a closer look, and did a double take.
8th Milennium BC?! Neolithic period??!!
I could not believe my eyes, and I was a bit sceptical of the claims being made until I returned and did some background reading - which meant that I googled, basically.

Statues of Ain Ghazal, that's what these models below are called.

They were found in the settlement of Ain Ghazal, a Neolithic settlement quite close to modern-day Amman in Jordan. I was very fascinated by those eyes.

Even now when I look at these pictures, the age of these statues just boggles my mind. 9,000 years ago, our ancestors were already into statue-making, isn't that amazing!

And the face proportions are much better than anything I have ever achieved in my various attempts at drawing. (Maybe my side of the family did not come from this branch of Neoliths!)

These statues are from the second Cache that was discovered, I have since learnt. The first cache seems to have had statues that were a bit more shapely, but the faces were more grotesque.

This second cache of statues typically had these large-eyed statues, but with these feature-less torsos, and where are the arms? Interestingly, the toes and feet are well-carved.


This two-headed statue has thrown all the historians and archaeologists into a tizzy. What could it possibly mean? Was it some God of theirs?

By the way, they were discovered by a road-laying crew in 1974! In a strange coincidence, a Neolithic site in the Indian subcontinent was also discovered in 1974 - Mehrgarh in Pakistan.

In South India, it seems that 7,000BC and we were still in the stone age. Neolithic culture came here only in 3,000BC or so. Burial urns from that time period have been found here.

I have always maintained that the large potholes and trenches in Madras are actually archaeological digs!

7 comments:

  1. The two-headed statue is rather interesting and I can understand why Archaeologists may have various opinions on it. I am no such expert, but I suspect this may be their way of depicting a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats an interesting thought Amila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps they were Siamese twins?
    Quite amazing, how well they were done, considering our low opinion of cavemen!
    If your theory about Madras is correct, then New York is an even bigger archaelogical site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for showing me these most interesting objects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow interesting indeed. I love visiting Neolithic settlements and been lucky to do so in different locations. There's one doubt though, I am not convinced that Neolithic settlements in Southern India came that late, I know wiki mentions this. There are several as yet un excavated sites even in Karnataka that go from early Neolithic to Chalcolithic (bronze) age. Still a lot to discover and ASI always says they are understaffed and don't have the budget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flowergirl, why should the two figures be gods only, they may be so many different things to different persons, to me they seem like brothers,rather squat,gotten together over all these Ages, what with such strong resemblance to each other!Guess who?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are welcome, Col!

    Capt Murthy, I wish what you are saying comes to being...I was somewhat crushed to read about the "backwardness" of civilisational progress in south India!

    Anonymous, no the statues are definitely not gods, and I do like your brothers analogy! Or maybe sisters?!

    So, we have guesses of a couple, siamese twins, and siblings!

    I wonder if the truth will ever be known?!

    ReplyDelete

Andamans Day 5 - The Andaman teals, and Daurian Starling show and other sidelights

 Continued from here.   Feb 14th 2024 evening There was no rest for the sleepy.  In order to maximise daylight hours and save time, we were ...