Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Manual or Auto mode?

I love taking photographs, ever since digital technology and the wonderful auto mode became popular. I do not have the patience to do what most proper photographers (including my husband) enjoy doing - setting aperture, exposure and all those myriad settings before taking a picture.

Yes, I love to point and shoot. My husband did make some weak efforts to convert me into a proper photographer, but all that ended up happening is that I've made him lazy too!! And yes, I definitely do not want to carry those large gun-like lenses, like many of my young MNS friends, like Sripad and Skandan do.

So I still do not know why I signed up for the Basic Photography workshop that Dr TP Alaganantham offered through MNS. I think some of it was to do with demystifying the whole process and understanding what the camera was actually doing when I pressed that button.

What an enjoyable weekend it was! First of all, its so uplifting to interact with people like Dr TPA, a surgeon by profession, but whose passion for photography has led to much tinkering and self discovery, and the interest to communicate to others like me.

Elbows close to the body brings greater stability...hmmm, I had not thought of that. I now am aware of specular reflection, catch light, spot metering, white balance, CCD and CMOS, depth of field, ghost shadows and the reasons for red eye! A great tip for me was the suggestion to use flash in daylight to counter the effects of backlit people - I always seem to be having this problem.

For me, the most interesting part of the weekend, were the sessions related to composition and framing. The rule of thirds and the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci spiral. My Ikebana training immediately identified with this asymmetric sense of aesthetics.

So am I likely to move out of auto-focus? Unlikely. But there may be 10 reasons to turn off that auto-focus. And now I know what to attempt to do, when my Ikebana arrangements develop ghost shadows, when those mid-day photos look all washed out and when there is low light at dusk.



5 comments:

  1. Since I turned a dSLR user, I mostly shoot in manual mode, with me taking control of the settings. However, in doing so, I have my (100-400mm) lens set to auto focussing. (Yes, that is possible). So, what works for me is a combination of manual mode + auto focussing.

    On other news, I will go to watch the 3rd Test today. Now, I am not going to ask you to stop all your work, and watch the match on TV, but if you do spot me, please let me know!
    Note: I will be in my college colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what words to describe photographic processes! Now I will keep a close eye on your ikebana photo- skills. Sure it has done you well.Malathi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read murderous math. Life is so much simpler. No offence to you Mr. Alagananthan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Amila, I guess I need to experiment like that as well.

    Amma, I should remember to take my camera!

    Nick Falco, thanks for updating me on the Fibonacci principle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. how come I didnt read this blog so long...I am more than happy with point and shoot...and have started using P, but many concepts yet unkown.

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...