Sunday, October 31, 2010

Tree list at Anna University

Led my first tree walk for Nizhal. Meaning, I was supposed to be the "resource person" as Shoba so sweetly puts it, spreading awareness about these trees! I went armed with my iPad. Why? Loaded on it was the Nizhal Siemens Gandhinagar Tree Guide, with more than 40 common trees of Chennai (all present in Gandhinagar, Adyar) identified via their fruit, flower, leaf or pod!

I used it successfully to identify the Mimusops elengi or bullet wood tree. I was very pleased at the fact that I was able to identify all these trees below that we found on our one hour walk. I would not have been able to do this about a year ago...probably only about five. Working at the PWD park and going for Nizhal's tree walks have really helped.

There were about 20 students of the college from the Youth Red Cross who came along with me. There were two other resource persons Latha and Yamini, who went to other parts of the large and green campus. These were the trees seen and talked about, along the western driveway just inside the main gate. This is the path I took.
  1. Mast tree (false ashoka) - identified by its profile
  2. Copper pod - pods and yellow flowers
  3. Gulmohar - smooth bark, small leaves, large pods
  4. Pongamia - with the leaf galls, a hardy local tree
  5. Rain tree - there were a few flowers. told them about the insects that make the "rain", and the thoongu moonji look of the leaves in the evening.
  6. Neem - the wonder tree, that everyone knew.
  7. Tabebuia - there are massive specimens that line the inner walls of the campus.
  8. Peepul - the fig wasp story told.
  9. Cassia yellow
  10. Cassia pink
  11. Bauhinia - we discussed the leaf shape, and there was some lovely purple blloms too.
  12. Mimusops elengi - this is the one that we went step by step using the guide (since I could not identify it straight off).
  13. Palmyra - TN state tree
  14. Banyan - a nice large specimen
  15. False rudraksh - hairy leaves and black rudraksh-like seeds.
  16. Nuna - the bark was a giveaway
  17. Java olive - with their palmate leaves and characteristic seed pods
  18. Subabul - the "conflict" tree, that does not allow other species to thrive, with the easily identifiable seed pods.
  19. Fishtail palm
  20. Golden cane palm
The Tree Guide is a handy tool for Chennai. It can be loaded on a smart phone or laptop and works well. Would you like a copy? Post a comment below, or fill in the feedback form at Nizhal's contact page. It costs Rs 150.

11 comments:

  1. Very impressive! I might possibly be able to recognize at most 3 of these trees.
    Wish I had been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'd do better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a guided, tree-spotting tour!

    I often watch trees that i pass with interest, but never been good at identifying them by name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yosee, the nice thing about a tree walk is that the trees are reliable, they are there rain or sun, dont go flitting off like the birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice. would you like to share a link to this post on the nizhal fb page/

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice....

    CP3 HORNETS ALL DAY

    ReplyDelete
  7. can we get the specific names of these trees..

    ReplyDelete
  8. can I get this fish tail palm tree leaves. I will need it for my research work

    ReplyDelete
  9. every search of mine related nature leads to one of your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about the trees in entrance with fragile pastel pink flowers? I dont know the name

    ReplyDelete

Vismaya - the Peregrine of MRC Nagar

Vismaya - so named by Sanjeev - a Peregrine Falcon whom he had day-to-day eyes on; Vismaya, who came when Maya the Shaheen left, or so it se...