Friday, November 25, 2011

Composting Diary - Beginning

September 24th 2011:  Have begun composting with a khamba that looks like this.

I have kept it on my terrace in an area where there is light, cross ventilation, some sun, but it is protected from the rain.

The khamba is rather ingeniously designed.  The top two pots have little vents for circulation, covered with guaze to prevent unwanted rodents' entry.

The instructions say that the bottom of the middle and upper pots, which just have some netted cords running through, need to be lined with newspaper, which I did, before dumping my organic waste.

I am putting all veggie and fruit peels, egg shells, used coffee powder from my filter, tea bags, tea leaves and stuff like dried leaves from my potted plants.  I have so far filled up one pot, which is now in the middle, and am halfway through the next one.

Happy to report the absence of foul smell and fruit flies or other such stuff, (so far at least).  The reason could be that the place I have kept it is airy and so the aerobic microbes are more?

The bottom most pot has a lining of sand.

The middle pot's waste now has blackened and shrivelled, but has not yet become like this.


8 comments:

  1. I am impressed. We are back to what we used to be doing in our gardens and backyards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, with an adaptation for no garden, no backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read your composting diary. The Kambha has evolved a little since I began using mine, some 3 years ago. I'm amazed at how the Kambha magically turns all my vegetable and garden waste into precious compost. I've been so happy with my Kambha that I did a pretty detailed post on it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita, could you please paste the link for that blog post here as well? It would be great to refer to it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a link to my post on the Kambha:
    http://redripetomatoes.blogspot.com/2011/05/make-your-own-homemade-compost-pit-less.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Anita, I justread it - wonderful and I am further enthused now! Just a couple of questions for you -

    1. When you put the semi-composted stuff in the bottom unit, do you mix it with sand or anything?

    2. And then how do you know the compost is done - just when it looks broken down entirely?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Flowergirl, Happened to see this comment only now. To your questions: 1) No, I don't mix any sand in any of the units, but maybe you could. I just make sure it's not too wet or too dry. With time, you'll find it easier to control the moisture content just right. If I want it dryer, I add dry leaves and newspaper and if I want to increase wetness, I add kitchen waste or even sprinkle water.
    2) When your compost is done, you'll be able to pass most of it through a coarse sieve.
    A word of caution: Depending on what you've fed the Kambha, the acidity of your compost may not suit all your plants. With some trial and error, you'll know which plants love your compost and which ones don't. Hope you're not disappointed to hear this last bit. The Kambha is still a wonderful device because it can consume(actually devour!) almost all of your garbage, with hardly a trace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Anita, yes I also added some dry leaves to reduce the moisture.

    Your word of caution has me a bit worried - how do I know (without killing the plant!) as to which ones will do well with it?!

    ReplyDelete

Vismaya - the Peregrine of MRC Nagar

Vismaya - so named by Sanjeev - a Peregrine Falcon whom he had day-to-day eyes on; Vismaya, who came when Maya the Shaheen left, or so it se...