Friday, April 27, 2012

The Flame of the Forest

It is the season for the Purusai to  flower, and all over central India the forests will be aflame!
Butea monosperma - Palash, Purasai
@ the TS

On one of the Chithirai tree walks of Nizhal I learnt that Madras was also full of these trees.  Purasawalkam was full of Purusai trees!!  All have been systematically felled.  One survives I am told in one of the temples there.


One flower is all I saw, fallen on the ground
And then Alok sends me this picture!!  A set of blooms from a tree in Shanthiniketan
And now I know why this is the flame of the forest!!

3 comments:

  1. Posted a comment hre a couple of days back, whatever happened! I just wondered if this is the same as Mayfloer and Gul mohur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Published in all its glory this time with typos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir,
    Greetings from Pandhal Raj ...

    This Dear tree where you find out..
    I want tree location please share the information.
    my mail id : pappapandhal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...