Sunday, April 6, 2014

A parental goodbye to the Valley

Our last visit to the Valley, home to our son these last two years, but a connection that began in the Deepavali of 2010.

A place we instantly fell in love with as a family, a place where everytime we visited my faith in humanity was recharged, a place where gentle positive energy flowed. 
Scrochingly hot and dry, the trees stood like skeletons.  Did they miss the sound of the children I wondered, or did they heave a collective sigh of relief as peace and quiet descended on the campus?!
The siris seemed to enjoy the weather, or did its roots have a secret supply of water?
The birds had nowhere to hide, and even the shy white browed bulbuls were exposed.
And then I saw this Jamun tree (Syzgium cumini) full of leaf and flower!
A Tickell's Blue flitted about in this oasis of green, as also a Chloropsis!
The beautiful flowers
The weaver ants were busy colonising a tree.....
...while the Jacaranda near the dining hall was in full bloom....
....and a whole family of hoopoes hunted for lunch.
Spied a pair of Malkohas at the guesthouse.The owlets were there too, on the copper pod tree near the senior school.
And then we left, our connection as parents done with.

But we will be back I am sure, to this place where, quietly and without fuss, experiments in education and sustainable living go on, and where I learnt to let go and watch.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Flowergirl,

    I'm leaving a comment, as I couldn't find an email link.

    I see you have an avid interest for nature.
    I've just started a campsite - Wander Land Campground - near Kodaikanal, and we have some really nice bird life (Malabar Hornbills, Hoopoe, Eagles, Coucals, Peacocks, Parakeets, mini vets, Orioles, racket-tailed Drogos and many more) as well as plant and animal species.
    Please consider this an invite to come out and write about us. Do drop me a line and we can work out the details.
    Thanks,
    Vishwanath
    9789459384

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vishwanath!

      I quickly scanned wanderland.in.

      Looks like a lovely place, and good luck in your venture. Would love to visit. Will be in touch. Do you stay in Madras?

      Delete
  2. Hi Flowergirl,

    I'm based in Kodi, but I grew up in Madras (0-20yrs). I come there now and again to visit parents and friends.

    I think you'd like the place and the birds especially. Do drop me a line at info [at] wanderland [dot] in when you're closer to having dates in mind, and I will be happy to help you get your nature fix. :)

    Thanks,
    Vishwanath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah RV....some of the photos reminded me of my school days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful indeed! Which valley is this?

    - Ram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ram, This is Rishi Valley in Madanapalle, AP.

      Delete

Vismaya - the Peregrine of MRC Nagar

Vismaya - so named by Sanjeev - a Peregrine Falcon whom he had day-to-day eyes on; Vismaya, who came when Maya the Shaheen left, or so it se...