Monday, June 18, 2018

Roly poly puchi

Chetan dropped this into my hand while at the Yercaud camp this summer. No, its not a nut or fruit, but a roly poly puchi!  It was so tightly rolled up like one of those well-made cases that cannot be opened.
Leave it alone, and after a good 45 seconds, it slowly unfurls and becomes this.



Seems to be, this is a pill millipede, and not a pill bug.  The latter is actually a crustacean, and from what I read, my puchi seems to be a puchi only and therefore the former.  I may be wrong, may be right....

Thirteen body segments and they feed on dead matter from what I read.  So, not a pest, but one of those little ancient critters that quietly go about recycling decomposing plant matter.




3 comments:

  1. For some reason it reminds me of trilobites..as if it got stuck in evolution...beautiful though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have taken a video of it uncurling...I was so absorbed staring at it, that I overlooked that! And I did not have the heart to make it curl up again.

      Delete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...