Friday, June 21, 2024

A moth of such silken beauty

Tusar Silk Moth
More gorgeous than the silk 
you spin, cocooned.
Silky Resplendence.  Evanescent. 
Bed of green.  Go in peace.

Antheraea paphia, South India small tussore moth.  Male.


Last moments of life - it lay there, moving feebly in the sun and breeze, and I marvelled at its markings.


I learnt from Bhanu that they are non feeding adults, with no mouth parts.  These Saturnid moths mate, lay eggs & perish, their job done.


I drew attention to the moth, to all who passed by - some nodded in politeness, others hurried on, not moved by this beauty, I wondered how.  An older man came and peered and nodded and marvelled at nature's creation.  A young woman's eyes lit up at the word "silk".

I will be on the look out for eggs and caterpillars on possible host plants in the neighbourhood - Terminalia species, hoping the moth's cycle of life continues.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous moth, got you as admirer, lucky moth..the best end one a hope for, a loving goodbye

    ReplyDelete

Sholinganallur/Perumbakkam Marshlands

eBird Checklist - 22 Sep 2024 - Sholinganallur/Perumbakkam Marshlands - 29 species I did not take a single picture - kind of rare for me.  S...