Thursday, July 10, 2008

I got this!

My in-laws brought this book for us, from the US!  I almost whooped with joy on seeing it.  The bird sketches are large and dramatic.  There's a little write-up about each bird.  And the bird calls are fabulous.The bird songs have been compiled by The Cornell Lab of Ornithology. There's more about North American birds on their site.

There are birds from all the continents.  For Asia, there are several of the birds I've seen - Brahminy Kite, Crested serpent eagle, Mynah.  And my favourite is the fantail flycatcher. I had heard it in Melghat, and now I can hear its lovely musical call anytime I want to!

So, what is a "call" and what is a "song"?  The crow obviously doesnt sing, and I supppose neither does the pigeon.  But the oriole sings and so does the pheasant and even the brown-faced owl.  Get it?

Lucky me, huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...