Saturday, November 1, 2008

Why Do Fall Leaves Change Colour?

That's the question that intrigued me recently, when Chitrakka sent me an album of fall colours in New England. In a strange moment of serendipity, just yesterday I saw a cartoon in the newspaper about a little boy asking his mum about whether she knew why leaves change colour in the fall. In the cartoon, the mom launches into a romantic explanation involving God, Nature and Beauty. The next frame shows the boy drily saying isnt it because there's less sunlight and the plants are producing less chlorophyll?!

There's so much beauty in fall colours that I just gawp at pictures, and have never found out why. (And if they did teach me in school, I've long since forgotten!) So, deciding to re-educate myself, I googled away.

National Geographic had this nice essay, where I was informed that the lower levels of light means lower levels of chlorophhyll and the caroteinoids (which were always there) begin to show themselves.

It got a bit more complicated as I read further - there is also anthocyanin produced in the cooler months (the flaming red colour-giver), though from what I read, its role is a bit of a mystery. Hmmm... Scientists are doing extensive research as to why some turn golden and some turn red. And both seem successful at keeping the tree alive!!

Well, couldn't it just be that the maple thinks red is cool and the aspen loves yellow?! I mean imagine if a Martian were trying to research why some human females chose pink dresses, others black and still others yellow, green and blue!! They will be kept busy for a long time!!

Update:

Kamini sent me these aboslutely gorgeous photos of fall colours in Westchester, USA this year.

See, some like it yellow, others red!




Lovely photos, Kamini, and thanks for sending them along!

13 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts , why indeed do some women prefer pink, while others choose others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were here to see the colours - it's a sight that takes my breath away year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flower girl - Let me offer you the Arte y Pico award for your blog ... because I like your writings on nature. Do see my post November 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...interesting thoughts; impressed at the energetic way you pursued them on Google!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this blog literally is a breath of fresh air
    :)
    i feel surrounded by nature
    hi, i'm adi and i came over from rambling raji. she has mentioned us together in her november 2 post
    hope u'll come over to delhidreams someday soon
    c ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathtaking! Thanks Ambix and thanks Kamini, whom I'm surely visiting some time some fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raji, thanks for this award.....now I have to write a post on it!!

    Adi, welcome, and I did drop by your blog, but was too intimidated by the nice poetry to leave a message! I was out of my depth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am pretty fascinated by the hues of the fall since childhood. It must be such a stunning sight to actually witness such beauty in your own backyard.

    Being in Sri Lanka's wet zone; the South Asia's only aseasonal ever-wet region, I do not have such luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true Gallicissa, we dont see these colours around here, so lets just enjoy the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. G'day from an Indian-born and Indian-educated Australian.

    I have spent a lot of time photographing these sights around the world.

    In Canada I've seen fall colours go from yellow to scarlet overnight, when the sap freezes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. David, G'day to you as well! You are very lucky to have seen (and photographed) these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely post and amazing thoughts. It is very much possible that we over simplify plant life he ha ha...may be they do like diff colours :)

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...