Saturday, March 15, 2008

Feathered visitors through the day

March 11, 2008

It was one of those days when visitors kept dropping by, some were a pleasant diversion and others were a nuisance.

Early morning visitor

Though we do not have a fresh water body close to us, this kingfisher is a regular early morning visitor. Salim Ali says its the kingfisher variety least dependent on water, and that could explain its regular presence.

It has a distinctive rattling kind of call that carries far in the still, quiet air at dawn. The call is almost like an alarm for me in the mornings, to wake up and get on with organising my day.

Most of the time, the WBK - white breasted kingfisher is too far away to see clearly, but this morning, it came and sat on the clothes line pylons on our terrace! So I could easily see its white chest and heavy, red bill. The male and female look alike so I couldn't tell if it was Mr ya Mrs.

Besides fish, these WBK also eat lizards and insects, and there are plenty of those around. Maybe I should invite it into our apartment for some natural lizard control! Right now, the lizards have a free run of our place, and we see their romances, wars and hunts played out on our walls.

The only thing is that the WBK bashes its prey to death before swallowing them, and I dont think I have a stomach for such gruesome murders in my apartment!

Later in the day...

Mr House Sparrow is very busy these days, and the hanging cable wire outside my window - which is an eyesore - serves him well. He comes and settles himself on it, mid morning, and as he sits and swings on it, engages me in loud chatter.

I wish I could understand what he goes on about, but my lack of comprehension doesnt seem to faze him in the least. He keeps his end of the conversation going very well! Chirp, chirp, hop, hop, look how busy I am, he seems to say. "You mean you haven't even had a bath?! I've had my morning cuppa, and am now running errands for the missus. No time to waste, cant be late you know, she has a temper", and off he goes, only to return in a little while to continue his chat.

In a few days, I'll know all about his family at this rate!

Now, whoever said that the sparrows are gone?

Unwanted permanent residents

Gootr-goo, gootr goo, all day long they go, all over our building, and I suppose half the buildings of the city! For some unexplainable reason, I do not like the Blue Rock Pigeon.

Its actually a beautiful bird, I suppose, with a glistening neck, striking black lines across its wings and a nice grey colour, but.... they seem so clumsy and ungainly, flapping their wings and making a godawful racket just to take off.

And have you seen their nests? Just put together a few sticks in a niche, crevice and they are done. Wonder what the baya weavers think about them, or even the bulbuls, who have such neat nests.

And then they land with a thud, on the aircons or wherever they descend, reminiscent of the old B52 bombers of WWII!

I prefer the crows to these birds. They are light of feet and feather and build their nests in trees, like birds should!!!

I try to be a tolerant naturalist, but my resolve is sorely tested by the rock pigeons.

Wonder why pigeon soup is not popular in the city restaurants?!

2 comments:

  1. What a joy to read this post!
    And pal, you said it about pigeons!
    Have you heard Tom Lehrer's 'Poisoning Pigeons n the Park'?

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...