Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Millingtonia outside my window

Madras is lovely these days, cloudy and cool, and I can sit and quite happily daydream at my window, enjoying the trees and the breeze. One particular window is my favourite. Looking out of it, I see no buildings immediately, as there is a Millingtonia, some teak and coconut trees, badam, neem, forming a lovely green sight for my eyes.



My favourite of the lot is the Millingtonia, or maramalli tree. It is a perching point for many a bird that I see. Currently, it has shed some leaves and there a lot of bare branches, but by April/May, I hope to see it flower again. The white fragrant flowers, which fall in the mornings, form a white carpet under the tree. When the tree is in flower, the sunbirds are excited and in plenty.

I was rewarded this morning, with an amazing moment that lasted all of thirty seconds I think.

A coppersmith barbet, a red vented bulbul, a sunbird, and a crow all perched on the leafless branches of the Millingtonia! Soon, the quartet was joined by another barbet, but then all except the crow took wing. I had just enough time to take a look at them through my binoculars, before they all took off.

The tree is native to the Myanmar area, and is named after Sir Thomas Millington, an 18th century English botanist and a physician, informs Dr Mahadeswara Swamy, in his Know Your Trees series for the MNS. The bark supposedly is used as a cork substitute, and hence the common name Indian Cork Tree.

1 comment:

Andaman Day 4 and 5 - Rangat scrub and open forests

Continued from here.  Click here for the previous post.  Feb 13th 2024 - Our Post lunch wander The post-lunch session is always one that req...