Tuesday, March 31, 2009

750 MW of power saved during Earth Hour in city - Chennai - Cities - The Times of India

750 MW of power saved during Earth Hour in city - Chennai - Cities - The Times of India

Hmmm, not bad I say!  Our household's two bits of savings are also there.  My husband and I went for a walk to the beach, rather than sit in a dark house or stare at each other gloomily with  candles.  (Yes, we are that age when candles are not romantic, only dim and gloomy!)

I was amazed at the number of families on the beach, and also realised that there's this whole world of post 8pm activity in my neighbourhood that I am unaware of.

So, Earth Hour made me -
1.  Save power
2.  Chat with my husband
3.  Enjoy the cool night breeze and the crashing waves
4.  Live without internet for an hour
5.  Check out the social life on the Thiruvanmyur beach

Maybe we should do this every month!!

And it doesn't matter what the sceptics say, switch off those  lights and give the cynicism a one hour rest too!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo, Flowergirl!
    It's such a simple gesture, yet it has sparked such vigorous and bitter debates. So what if global warming might not be really as evil as it is made out to be? Why not just enjoy the peace and quiet and darkness - it's just for an hour. I have to show this to the almost-cynic at my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kamini! Can you believe, even the Madras Club switched off its lights??

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...