Thursday, August 25, 2011

Memories of my childhood

Isn't it unfortunate, when its there you take it for granted, and when its gone you sorely miss it. I was reminded of my maternal grandfather's home when I read this quirky description. The Green Ogre:A tree may be our primary connection with the universe.

Summers spent hanging around under a huge peepul tree there, watching the huge black ants scurry among the roots and fallen leaves. Teasing and getting teased by cousins and my brother, reading a book a day, wandering off to the cow shed to feed the calf. Nungus from the tree in the evening, picking parijatha with my grandmother in the mornings, listening to the never ending koels. Slapping the gigantic evening mosquitoes with irritation and frustration. Mosquito nets, dim lights.

A lifestyle disappeared?

6 comments:

  1. Ambika,I wish to see many more poems like this!Appa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charming!
    Somehow I feel that if I show this to Ro he will not be charmed -- rather he might be appalled and horrified and just plain grateful that his was a more recent childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appa, prose, not poetry, thanks!

    Kamini, yes, imagine no 24 hour TV and no internet...how did we survive?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those koels can really keep you awake, if you're trying
    to get to sleep early [ Changa Village, near Bilimora, GUJ 12/93]

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me long for another age. Lovely. And "reading a book a day" - the best thing. The best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, that's true Injamaven! I dont know if you read these posts -

    http://madraswanderer.blogspot.com/2010/06/ko-el-crescendoes.html
    and
    http://madraswanderer.blogspot.com/2010/07/asian-koel-population-on-rise-in.html

    Gardenia, yep, Enid Blytons, then Hardy Boys and Perry Masons, all consumed voraciously, not to forgot Phantom comics!!!

    ReplyDelete

Andaman visit 2024 - summary post

Andaman Diary - Day 1 - Cellular Jail views Andaman Diary Day 1 - Burmanallah beach and beyond Andamans Day 2 - Kalatang - birds and butterf...